- Idolatry(noun) the worship of idols, images, or anything which is not God; the worship of false gods
- Idolatry(noun) excessive attachment or veneration for anything; respect or love which borders on adoration
Where do we see idolatry in the Super Bowl games?
- Football Players
- The Pigskin
- The annual Super Bowl game itself
- Sports Announcers
- Team & Player Clothing and Accessories
- The lure and appeal of the great money associated with the players and the game (worship of mammon)
- The Parties!
1 Samuel 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
1 Corinthians 10:13-15 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. 14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say.
Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
- Spending Monies
- Talking, shouting, screaming, cursing
- Point Spread
- “Anything goes”
- Putting body/bodies in danger of physical harm
- Self – God Lives Within
- Immoderate behavior
- Lust of the eyes, the flesh, and pride of life
- Impure thoughts
- Inappropriate words
- Inappropriate actions
- Each other
- Coaches, Referees, Team Players
- Churches where Super Bowl events are held
I’m sure there are lots more. This is a start, which should get you thinking.
As always, repent. Make your hearts and actions right with God. We’re too close to the end to put our souls in jeopardy. Too many take salvation for granted.
2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.